Types of quant

I wanted to be a quant after graduation. However, I am told there are now many dfferent types of quant. They specialize in different parts and they require different background and preparation. I am confused and I don't know which kind of quant I really want to be. Is there somone who can tell me these information about quant? Thank you!

Necessity of a PhD

Is it really true that a PhD is a necessity to become a true quant as Dr. Joshi states in that guide?

Is it really true that a PhD is a necessity to become a true quant as Dr. Joshi states in that guide?

Well receiving the highest academic degree(PhD) is good to become a quant. But what do you call a real quant?!! Quantitative analyst can become a person with other lower degrees as well... Its the same as asking: Is it really true that you have to play in Barcelona to become a footballer?!! Of course if you play there(have a PhD) then you are very well prepared for playing footbal in highest class(doing quantitative jobs). But a footballer (quant) playing in lower class team (having MBA, MFE,etc.) are also footballers(quants).

Back