UCLA MFE VS. Gatech QCF

• UCLA MFE

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Gatech QCF

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Background
- UCLA Undergrad, Class of 2016
- I have been working in an LA based asset management firm for one year, so I have good exposure to several investment strategies, portfolio management, different markets, etc.
- I wish to become a quantitative trader after finishing the program
- Prefer to work in NY, Boston or Chicago (I'm living in LA now)
- Better background in finance than in maths and programming (I took some online courses and will continue to take)

UCLA MFE
Pros:
- I spent four years here, so I am very familiar with the campus and community. I also have a few professional connections in LA.
- The program is under Anderson. I am confident about its career service and teaching quality. Also excellent study environment.
- Better reputation
- Most students have working experience, so I can learn a lot from classmates.
- I don't need to relocate
Cons
- Few classes on trading
- I heard the program doesn't involve too much programming in C++ or python, but in Matlab and R.

Gatech QCF
Pros:
- Curriculum settings are outstanding. I can learn Machine learning for trading, algorithmic trading, etc.
- Linkedin shows the program has better placements in NY (GS) and Chicago (Citadel)
- Good placements in energy trading (?)
- Higher ranking on Quantnet
Cons:
- I prefer LA to Atlanta
- Most students find local jobs

Bottom Line
I am a permanent resident, so I think it won't be hard for me to find a job. However, I still need to work really hard to get into my dream companies, such as big banks/hedge funds/trading firms. I personally lean towards UCLA MFE, but Quantnet tracker shows more Rejs from Gatech than from UCLA?

Any advice will be really appreciated! Thanks!

I am no expert in QCF and MFE programs specifically. But I am willing to bet you that you will get a better, more quantitative, more rigorous education at Georgia Tech than UCLA for a program like this. Not bashing on UCLA or anything. But GT is one of the top university programs for engineering in the country, public or private. I have no doubt that reputation extends to quantitative finance too. If you look at overall rankings, engineering rankings, and the quantitative ranking you cited, I bet they all show GT quite a bit above UCLA. If ranking is the most important thing to you, then go to GT.

But it just depends where you will be happier.

Background
- UCLA Undergrad, Class of 2016
- I have been working in an LA based asset management firm for one year, so I have good exposure to several investment strategies, portfolio management, different markets, etc.
- I wish to become a quantitative trader after finishing the program
- Prefer to work in NY, Boston or Chicago (I'm living in LA now)
- Better background in finance than in maths and programming (I took some online courses and will continue to take)

UCLA MFE
Pros:
- I spent four years here, so I am very familiar with the campus and community. I also have a few professional connections in LA.
- The program is under Anderson. I am confident about its career service and teaching quality. Also excellent study environment.
- Better reputation
- Most students have working experience, so I can learn a lot from classmates.
- I don't need to relocate
Cons
- Few classes on trading
- I heard the program doesn't involve too much programming in C++ or python, but in Matlab and R.

Gatech QCF
Pros:
- Curriculum settings are outstanding. I can learn Machine learning for trading, algorithmic trading, etc.
- Linkedin shows the program has better placements in NY (GS) and Chicago (Citadel)
- Good placements in energy trading (?)
- Higher ranking on Quantnet
Cons:
- I prefer LA to Atlanta
- Most students find local jobs

Bottom Line
I am a permanent resident, so I think it won't be hard for me to find a job. However, I still need to work really hard to get into my dream companies, such as big banks/hedge funds/trading firms. I personally lean towards UCLA MFE, but Quantnet tracker shows more Rejs from Gatech than from UCLA?

Any advice will be really appreciated! Thanks!

I have decided to go to UCLA. Thanks for the advice!

Back