USC Mathematical Finance or Fordham Quantitative Finance, which should I go?

• Thread starter Thread starter TimWang
  • Start date Start date
I actually have paid the deposit for Fordham MSQF program. But I just received the USC admission. I want to re-consider my choice. Anyone have suggestions?

For the Program Ranking: Fordham MSQF #18 in QuantNet
USC MF No ranking

For the University Ranking: USC #23 in U.S. News, while Fordham is only #57

I am a Chinese student with BA in Accounting and Mathematics in MSU. I want to find a job after graduate program and work for serveral years before I went back to China. Based on this assumption, please help me to give me some advices. Thanks a lot for the help.

Tim Wang,

Please consider yourself the ultimate career objective after graduating from MFE.

By comparing the MFE program and university ranking does not conclude the most accurate suitable match making since every potential candidates coming from diverse background.

Firstly, for example, you did mentioned your background from accounting and mathematics. Have you ever studied real analysis, stochastic processes, ODE and PDE? These are the core requirement to be considered admitted to good MFE computation core course.

Secondly, for example, if you are interested in risk management career, then you shall focus on MFE program that specialize in those area.

So good luck with your MFE.

very little chance of getting a meaningful job from either program, even for domestic students

Fordham better, at least in location. Even tho u can't get a job after graduation, it can prepare u well to other top MFE programs with high ranking. NY has got much more opportunities than USC location.

Tim Wang,

Please consider yourself the ultimate career objective after graduating from MFE.

By comparing the MFE program and university ranking does not conclude the most accurate suitable match making since every potential candidates coming from diverse background.

Firstly, for example, you did mentioned your background from accounting and mathematics. Have you ever studied real analysis, stochastic processes, ODE and PDE? These are the core requirement to be considered admitted to good MFE computation core course.

Secondly, for example, if you are interested in risk management career, then you shall focus on MFE program that specialize in those area.

So good luck with your MFE.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I finally choose Fordham.

very little chance of getting a meaningful job from either program, even for domestic students
I will choose Fordham to give a try. Because I think the USC one is more suitable for preparing for PHD, not for a job seeker

Fordham better, at least in location. Even tho u can't get a job after graduation, it can prepare u well to other top MFE programs with high ranking. NY has got much more opportunities than USC location.
Thanks, I finally choose Fordham

Back