WGU + Georgia Tech OMSCS good enough for HFT?

• Thread starter Thread starter dtoor
  • Start date Start date

Wgu will get my resume thrown out at High Frequency Trading / Prop shops / Hedge funds

• Yes, you're done for. WGU is trash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, OMSCS / Ga Tech has a good name

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey there! I'm a C#/C++ dev that works in government. I'm planning on attending the Master's in CS program at Georgia Tech. I heard many HFT, Prop trading shops will throw out a lot of non-top 10 US undergrad CS degrees. Will Georgia Tech CS be enough to mitigate my WGU online CS bachelors degree? For reference I went to UIUC as well for Biology years back.

I even supplemented my CS degree from WGU with courses from Stanford, MIT, etc since I didn't want to NOT have the knowledge for a master's program at a rigorous university.

I know most firms test heavy on DSA Leetcode C++ questions so may they only care if you do well during the interview. Just wanna see what the general consensus is from you kind folk. (I'm applying for Core Dev, C++ heavy roles) Thanks!
Screenshot 2024-07-26 203520.webp

dang nothing..?
I was thinking about voting for the first option in the poll but I realize I don't know anything about WGU and I suspect so is most people.
Since you are going for heavy dev roles, your skillsets and current projects have more weight than what you did undergrad.
You are an experienced hire with let's say 1-2 years which is different from someone just finish their undergrad CS.
As you said, if you perform well on the leetcode or whatever platforms they use, you have a fair shot.
Now, if your C++ is really good, there are plenty of roles for you.
Here are some interesting reads to give you a benchmark

I was thinking about voting for the first option in the poll but I realize I don't know anything about WGU and I suspect so is most people.
Since you are going for heavy dev roles, your skillsets and current projects have more weight than what you did undergrad.
You are an experienced hire with let's say 1-2 years which is different from someone just finish their undergrad CS.
As you said, if you perform well on the leetcode or whatever platforms they use, you have a fair shot.
Now, if your C++ is really good, there are plenty of roles for you.
Here are some interesting reads to give you a benchmark
Haha yeah i have read these. A WGU undergrad IMHO isnt enough for most firms. And i work in local government so not enough of a "big name". Is OMSCS worth it?

Back