What careers are similar to what Quants do and what other careers can a math finance degree get?

• Thread starter Thread starter rita
  • Start date Start date
Hello, I've been browsing various Quant sites and decided to finally post (I've posted this to 2 other forums). So I am in need of some advice on my career goals.

Currently I'm a Chemical Physics major and just need one more year to graduate, but I'm changing it to a double major in Physics and Mathematical Finance, which will take me 2 more years (most of the math class I have to take is similar to ones I took for Physics). But I'm uncertain of what I'll be doing afterwards.

My interests are in the Quantitative Sciences dealing with computational and mathematical work. I enjoy what I study, and would be willing to work at anything that involves applying those particular skills of computation and mathematics. But I recently found quantitative analyst fitting, so majored in mathematical finance hoping to gain skills that interest me (numerical analysis, mathematical modeling, financial intelligence compared to a pure science major, etc.) even if I decide not to pursue a career as a quant.

I am interested in a career as a Quantitative Analyst, but most of the jobs in the US seem to be in NY and I'm in CA. So what other jobs can one get with a Mathematical Finance degree besides a Quant job? As a mathematical finance major, I would be taking most of the Finance courses a Finance major takes, but replacing some Business/Accounting courses with Math/Computation and Stats courses, so I may be able to go into Financial Analysis as well if I just self study some business and accounting practices.

Are there any careers that are similar to what Quants do? Maybe something that doesn't deal with finance? I have a minor in Chemistry (from my canceled Chemical Physics major) and an Associates degree in Biology, and am thinking about Computational Chemistry or Bioinformatics, but it seems to require a PhD. I want to work a little after graduation to earn some money and gain some work experience before I go back for further education.

Last edited:
Back