What degree do you need to work as an equities trader?

• Thread starter Thread starter MNRC
  • Start date Start date
Hi, I've been doing a lot of research and identified equities trading as a possible career path. I know there is trading vanilla equity, trading derivatives, and algorithmic trading. My question is what kind of degree or educational background is necessary to become an equities trader? Can you become an equities trader by doing a summer analyst internship at a IB?

Right now I'm studying for a masters in computer science at a target school and was wondering if this can put me on the career path of an equities trader. I think for algorithmic trading it sounds like programming skills are important, but how much math does you need? (Apologies if this question isn't relevant to quant finance. I have heard of quant traders, so thought someone might know about it.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May be a degree in Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance will help. Even the knowledge of Technical Analysis and some practical Trading experience should help..!!

Your background in Computer Science is big advantage for you. You may also look at Specialized courses on Financial Modeling.

Thanks.

Back