What job to do before pursuing Quant career?

• Thread starter Thread starter chrome
  • Start date Start date
Hi,

I completed my studies (BSc and PhD) in Maths and Engineering and I was contemplating pursuing a career as a quant. I finished in December 2011 and I feel I have very little time to learn so much material to even hold a conversation in an interview (principles, models and programming concepts).

However I am incredibly short of money having just finished studying and I would like a job, that I could do for up to 1 year, where I can learn some of the skills that would be necessary for such a role and also gain some experience as i have ZERO years.

I wondered whether you could advise me of job titles/positions which would give me a taste of the financial arena? Predominantly to 'buy me some time' to really get to grips with the preparation material (which I may post up help for a little later).

Do any of these come close: Risk Analyst/Forecaster/Market Analyst (sorry if these sound vague)?

Thanks

Titles may not correctly reflect what you will be doing. Try to filter the jobs listing by experience of 0-2 years and apply to those that most fit your qualification.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The dilemma i'm in at the moment is that approach could easily lead me from dealing with R&D in radio frequency technology to government statistics etc....

I would like an initial role which at least bears some resemblance to the sort of stuff I could potentially expect as a quant or even just to get some basic hands on knowledge of manipulating/analysing industrial derivatives, options etc...

I know its a tough one but as with most things, time is of the essence.

You didn't mention if you can program and how well. Being a good programmer opens a lot more doors for you. Even Excel/VBA is a good skill to have.
I can't really think of any jobs that do not require either some level of programming or basic finance. You can get some back office/mid office but it's much harder to later move on to front office.

Again, I have no idea what you can do skill wise besides that you got some degrees.

I believe the 'skill' you are referring to is how many programming languages I know and what fluency I hold right? Not a comprehensive definition of the word but from your context I can see how this is relevant. I also take it your forte is programming. Mine isn't but I know how to; C++ in particular (used pervasively through my project) and i'm learning VBA. Again I need to learn how to tailor this to financial applications. I'm 25 and I have a fair bit to learn before knocking on the door of the IB's and Fund managers, but I just want to ensure I make an educated guess about what steps will lead me to that door.

Back