What Schools should I realistically look into?

Hello all!

I hope everyone is having a festive holiday season. This is my first time posting on this sight and I would appreciate any insight or advice! I am a senior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute studying Chemical Engineering with a minor in Finance.

Right now, my GPA is roughly a 3.5, I have a lot of work experience (I was an IB intern at PNC, started my own personal portfolio, was nationally ranked for virtual trading from Investopedia), and I am taking the GRE soon but have been consistently scoring between 165-170 for Quant. Do you think I have a chance for the top MFE programs (Columbia, CMU, Chicago, NYU, Baruch, etc) or should I look at other schools?, and is there anything I can do to boost my chances?

Thanks so much!

You do have a chance, yes. Since you did engineering in undergrad you probably have most of the necessary coursework. Check the program websites and make sure you satisfy all of the prerequisites - some of them can be pretty specific.

Thanks so much! So I also took the GRE yesterday and scored a 170 on the quantitative, a 154 on the verbal, and hopefully I get roughly a 4.5-5 on the analytical writing. I know the Quant score is what roughly everyone gets, but will the verbal hurt me? I'm worried I just am not competitive enough for the programs I am applying to.

Any insight will be much appreciated!

Thanks so much! So I also took the GRE yesterday and scored a 170 on the quantitative, a 154 on the verbal, and hopefully I get roughly a 4.5-5 on the analytical writing. I know the Quant score is what roughly everyone gets, but will the verbal hurt me? I'm worried I just am not competitive enough for the programs I am applying to.

Any insight will be much appreciated!

Verbal is a bit low but I don't think it is a problem. You can check the tracker and see the GRE V scores of people who got admitted to MFE programs.

Back