What to do before joining MS to face no problems in future?

Hi,

Recently I have been accepted into FE program from UIUC and probably, this is going to be my final destination. I have a 2.5 years work experience in the Marketing Research and Loyalty Analytics. Therefore, I am really worried about my future prospects in the financial industry as I do not have relevant experience. I really want to get a good internship and job placement after my graduation.

I have a BTech in IT and MBA Finance. Additionally, I have cleared five actuarial exams from Institute of Actuaries of India (I took it just because I liked mathematics and stats and was really intermittent in giving these exams). Now, I have six months left before joining MS and I want to be fully prepared as I know the courses are so regress that time would just fly by.

Please let me know what I can do to just get the best possible. I am not a great programmer and I m really working on it. Besides that do you think an actuarial module on Financial Economics will help? Should I take it or Actuarial is not at all related to the field and will be waste for internship or jobs

I am looking forward for a helpful reply

Thanks

You mean MSF? or they have separate financial engineering program?
No.. You didn't get it. I hope you are aware of Actuarial modules. I am talking about these certifications. Its like CFA or FRM. Do you think, it'll help me further in internship or job searching. I am going to attend MSFE in Fall 2014

No.. You didn't get it. I hope you are aware of Actuarial modules. I am talking about these certifications. Its like CFA or FRM. Do you think, it'll help me further in internship or job searching. I am going to attend MSFE in Fall 2014

no..no I am talking about the UIUC program. As far as I know, they have MSF. Do they have another program MSFE? or are you talking about the specialization ?

no..no I am talking about the UIUC program. As far as I know, they have MSF. Do they have another program MSFE? or are you talking about the specialization ?
Oh! They had a MSF program before 2010. In 2010, they came up with MSFE

They are not professional certifications like CFA or FRM. They are pre-requisite examinations to pursue an altogether different profession. You take actuarial exams to become an actuary. Period. Yes, they would be helpful for internships/jobs if you are looking to work as an actuary or in similar roles in pensions, property and casualty etc. For roles in quantitative finance or financial analytics, actuarial exams on resume make you appear as non-committal and confused about your career path. My two cents.

Back