Where do I start? From Non-finance/computational/mathematical

Hi there, long time lurker here

I've had a successful albeit unstimulating career in IT for the past 5 years, working for reputable companies with varying roles in software development, solutions architecture, and tech pre-sales/consulting. I would like to redirect myself into a quant developer role via a MS in quantitative/computational finance (I still enjoy being a programmer).

I have a BSc in CS with weak GPA (C), MSc in CS with decent GPA (A-) - got into my MSc program by leveraging strong academic and work referrals.

Since I'm pretty late to the game with respect to application deadlines, I was wondering how I should proceed in prepping myself for fit, as well as my application.

CS degrees don't have much maths other than first year calculus, linear algebra, and a stats course here and there, I was wondering if the pre-program courses offered by places like UCB and UW Seattle are worthwhile - they are not cheap nor do they guarantee my entree into their programs even if I ace them...

I am based in Toronto, but I fear both the UofT MMF/MFE and the Waterloo MQT may be out of reach due to my academic history. I am very capable of doing well academically, but I was going through much personal hardship during my undergrad. Which programs would I have a shot at? I've considered the CQF, but it seems the program is more of a supplement for existing industry professionals. I am also open to relocating.

Guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated, there's much I've left out and the above may seem a bit incoherent due to my lack of sleep, apologies in advance :)

I was at one pt contemplating between this and data science but was swayed due to having less overlap with what I currently know (I've worked with developing big data solutions in the past)

Last edited:
Back