Who wants to help a guy in the wrong occupation?

Hello,

I'm a recent college graduate (from undergrad, December 2013) and have been working a professional job for about 6.5 months. When everyone was applying for jobs I was afraid I wasn't going to end up with one, so I accepted the very first offer I got, as it was an offer and pay was good. Turns out, not only do I have literally 0 passion for my job or what I do, I'm also awful at it, and I'm surprised I haven't been fired yet but I have a feeling it might be right around the corner (no one's said anything to me yet, but if I was my boss or my boss's boss I would fire me, figure that's a good test). This was the wrong role, wrong company, wrong industry for me. So I'm looking for a change.

I've been dabbling with trading in forex, just a little bit. Not profitable yet, in fact the contrary, I'm down money. But it's very interesting to me. So this time, trying to do my due dilligence, is being a Quant (or whatever job you might get with an MFE) anything like that? Could I end up a trader? Even if not forex maybe something else? Can someone give me a breakdown of what someone interested in trading who got an MFE might do?

Next, how hard is it to get into an MFE program? I understand that's subjective and hard to answer, but just a general breakdown of what an MFE program might be looking for in candidates (like what kind of work experience, what kind of undergraduate majors/grades, what kind of GRE scores). I guess what I've been reading is that they don't end up as real Quants, more like an intermediary between Quants and Traders or something? Not quite sure. But that means you shouldn't need to be a genius to be successful, as you're not going to really be a quant?

Thanks,
Henry

Back