Working as an international student in the US

• Thread starter Thread starter JLevin
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone,

How hard/tedious is it to find off-campus employment while completing a masters program for an F1 visa? I know that there is a 20hr per week limit while school is in session, which is fine, but special permission from the government has to be granted if one wants to work off-campus.

How easy is it to obtain this permission to work off-campus? Could someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,

J

Based on all information I gathered, it is. However I heard that you can work for free. So if your only purpose is to gain work experience, you can give it a shot.

Many who want to work and find a job did so eventually. Also, your school career services and advisors will be giving you all the support you need.

Career services play a crucial role in the success of a program. You can look at how involved the director of a program in helping alumni/graduates with internship/interview/etc.
Every F-1 student has the same employment eligibility. The difference is how you maximize those time to secure a full-time job that leads to H1B visa and eventually a green card.
A lot of information is shared by recent graduates of MFE programs so I think you will have a good idea of what's ahead looking through the discussions here.

Back