another die question

• Thread starter Thread starter radosr
  • Start date Start date
Let's have two 'parallel' but uncommingled arguments going on, if you don't mind. So, please do not mingle this post (or SUB-THREAD) with the one we have been having so far. Let's call this sub-thread the quantyst's approach.

Would you please just tell me where I went wrong with my solution? Thank you.

Answer: Probability of Sum being Even is 4/7 and Probability of Sum Being Odd is 3/7.

Here's why:

Let p denote the probability of the sum being even when the game stops.

Upon the first throw, we have Case (O) an odd roll with probability 1/2, and Case (E) an even roll with probability 1/2.

Under Case (O), we have three subsequent cases:

Case (O-SO) where the second roll is the same as first (odd and the same) with probability 1/6, at which point the process ends with an even sum. So, we reach this ending point with a net probability of (1/2)*(1/6)=1/12.

Case (O-DO) where the second roll is different but odd with probability 2/6, from which point onwards the probability of getting an even sum when the process ends is p as the first two rolls, both being odd, have an even sum. Thus, the net probability for this point is (1/2)*(2/6)*p=2p/12.

Case (O-E) where the second roll is even with probability 3/6, from which point onwards the probability of getting an even sum when the process ends is (1-p) as the first two rolls, one being odd and the other even, have an odd sum. The net probability for this point is (1/2)*(3/6)*(1-p)=(3/12)(1-p).

Under Case (E), we have three subsequent cases:

Case (E-SE) where the second roll is the same as first (even and the same) with probability 1/6, at which point the process ends with an even sum. So, we reach this ending point with a net probability of (1/2)*(1/6)=1/12.

Case (E-DE) where the second roll is different but even with probability 2/6, from which point onwards the probability of getting an even sum when the process ends is p as the first two rolls, both being even, have an even sum. Thus, the net probability for this point is (1/2)*(2/6)*p=2p/12.

Case (E-O) where the second roll is odd with probability 3/6, from which point onwards the probability of getting an even sum when the process ends is (1-p) as the first two rolls, one being even and the other odd, have an odd sum. The net probability for this point is (1/2)*(3/6)*(1-p)=(3/12)(1-p).

Combining all the above cases we have:

p=(1/12)+(2p/12)+(3/12)(1-p)+(1/12)+(2p/12)+(3/12)(1-p).

Solving the above equation, we get p=4/7.
Hi,

Sorry for replying to an old thread. I am new to the forum and was browsing through all the interesting discussions. One flaw in your method is in your case (O-DO). You are assuming that after two rolls the game resets and the probability becomes p afterwards. But consider the case 5-3-3. So it is not the same. Same argument for (E-DE) as well. Because the result is depending on the previous throw therefore it makes sense to choose p which depends on the previous value. (You can assume game to be reset for values prior to that except for the parity)

Back