Application Evaluation

Hi;
Good Times;
I recently signed up in this site to use this wonderful and helpful forum with these such amazing keen people!
My question is about my application status when i apply for F.E programs in U.S schools and i currently have one year prior to my graduation in undergraduate program and my current status is:
Expected Bachelor degree in Mathematics and its applications
Overall GPA : ~2.7/4
GPA of computational courses: ~3.8/4
Advance courses taken:
Numerical methodes in differential equations (Bsc. course)
Real analysis 1(Msc. course)
Functional analysis 1(Msc. course)
Convex analysis (Phd. course)
Participated Seminars:
International seminar on Linear Algerba and its application
National seminar on Mathematics and Humanities
International conference on operation research
And i have a senior undergraduate project in convex analysis related to optimization
GRE Record:
GRE Q:151 - GRE V: 142 - GRE W: 3.5

I ranked among top %10 in the Graduate Entrance examination in our country!

My concern is about my profile and i wonder is it enough for U.S schools presenting FE program or MF program to admit my application? Do you Have any advice for me to improve my application like taking GRE Math test? Or Do you have any suggestion about schools that are more suitable with my application profile?

Thank you.
With Regards.

1) Why is your gpa so low?
2) Why is your gre so low?

You will never even get an interview with those scores. You may have scored in the top 10% in your country, but that's no excuse. You are being compared not just to the few people in your country who take the exam, but to all the people in the whole world who apply. You have no shot with those numbers. Your gpa needs to be at least >3.5 (>3.8 to be competitive), and your quant gre needs to be at least >165 (but most students score a perfect 170) But really, why is your gpa so low compared to your computational gpa?

1) Why is your gpa so low?
2) Why is your gre so low?

You will never even get an interview with those scores. You may have scored in the top 10% in your country, but that's no excuse. You are being compared not just to the few people in your country who take the exam, but to all the people in the whole world who apply. You have no shot with those numbers. Your gpa needs to be at least >3.5 (>3.8 to be competitive), and your quant gre needs to be at least >165 (but most students score a perfect 170) But really, why is your gpa so low compared to your computational gpa?
In my first Year i couldn't participate in two Final exams of my courses and i was given 0/20 for 8 credit course because of absence and that ruined my first year records.
by omitting those records my GPA becomes 3.4 and about 8000 mathematic undergraduate students participate in our Graduate entrance examination because it's the only panel to be admitted in graduate program in our country!

And can i improve the lackness of my GPA by achieving high score in GRE math?

In my first Year i couldn't participate in two Final exams of my courses and i was given 0/20 for 8 credit course because of absence and that ruined my first year records.
by omitting those records my GPA becomes 3.4 and about 8000 mathematic undergraduate students participate in our Graduate entrance examination because it's the only panel to be admitted in graduate program in our country!

And can i improve the lackness of my GPA by achieving high score in GRE math?
It can't hurt, but again, your competition will have both high GPAs and GREs. The GRE is a fair assessment because while not everyone goes to the same school, everyone takes the same GRE. Your GRE is too low. But I don't want to discourage you if you're dead set on studying Quant in the US. You can try for a lower level university. Some programs like Stony Brook University's MSQF will take just about anybody. Just be forewarned that these people still have trouble competing and finding jobs. Do some more research and figure out your options.

Back