CMU MSCF CMU MSCF - NYC v/s PA

• Thread starter Thread starter Shweta
  • Start date Start date
I know of instances where students have taken 2 or more makeup exams and finally cleared the exams. Professors take private tutoring lessons for people who have failed and then you give the makeup exams. If you still fail despite all efforts from the professor's side, then I don't expect Quant is a career for you anyway!
It seems that CMU MSCF is very accommodating to the students. Nobody should fail any class given the numerous chances to pass the finals like this.
I don't know of any other program that would let you take the final more than once.

The program is not out to screw anyone over. They all know that students are under a lot of pressure from other courses as well as finding a job, so it's perfectly understandable that someone might mess up on an exam. However, the program does have a reputation to withhold and their job is to pull the plug on lost causes, not just for their sake but for yours too. If you can't even get past the intro courses, you'll do even worse on the more advanced courses later on. They're sparing you from additional pain and saving you from additional tuition costs.

I know for a fact that MSCF is benevolent with failing students. A co-worker of mine actually went to CMU MSCF; however, he did not take the courses he was recommended before the start of the semester which made it impossible (given his background) to keep up with classes. So he was able to leave the program but with admission held for two more years in case he wishes to enroll again.

It seems that CMU MSCF is very accommodating to the students. Nobody should fail any class given the numerous chances to pass the finals like this.
I don't know of any other program that would let you take the final more than once.
There isn't multiple make up exams for each class. They are not being accommodating. Without these make up exams 20-30% of the class would fail out because certain exams have failure rates that are that high.

I know of instances where students have taken 2 or more makeup exams and finally cleared the exams. Professors take private tutoring lessons for people who have failed and then you give the makeup exams. If you still fail despite all efforts from the professor's side, then I don't expect Quant is a career for you anyway!
This is just lying. Courses only have 1 make up. Professors do not tutor students.

To play devil's advocate, I think that unhappy_mscf may be (over)reacting to a very real problem in MFE programs at large : the curriculum.

I had the same reaction and posed the question (a little more politely) over a year ago. I mention in every professor feedback survey I get that the professor was great, but does the program understand why it is still offering this or that course in light of the current job market? I think it is a valid question.

(And btw I am graduating in May, have an offer and love RU; one does not need to be bitter to recognize something is wrong in Denmark)

https://www.quantnet.com/threads/curriculum-of-the-future.7877/

There isn't multiple make up exams for each class. They are not being accommodating. Without these make up exams 20-30% of the class would fail out because certain exams have failure rates that are that high.

This is just lying. Courses only have 1 make up. Professors do not tutor students.

I can agree with this. Multiple make-up exams is rare I think, maybe under special circumstances. In most cases, it's just one. And professors "tutoring" students is probably a stretch. I think what Nanda is referring to is - if you have specific questions about homework or the such, you can stay after class to chat or talk with them extensively during office hours. But if it's going to be an on-going thing, then you'd probably see the TA for that. I knew a classmate that had a tutor (PhD student) assigned to him after it was evident he was struggling a bit. If you are proactive, the resources will be there to help you pass.

I mention in every professor feedback survey I get that the professor was great, but does the program understand why it is still offering this or that course in light of the current job market? I think it is a valid question.

The problem is there's no one-size-fits-all curriculum. There is a trade-off between giving students more flexibility in career path vs. targeted coursework. In my opinion, they should really give serious thought on overhauling the entire curriculum and offering multiple "tracks", sort of like a MBA concentration. Currently, there's no flexibility in the curriculum, except in the last mini if I remember correctly. And even then, it was something like pick 4 out of 5. But I can see why they don't it. Customization can get very messy administratively and considering the small class size, it might not be as efficient in terms of professor-student ratio.

There's no one-size fits all, but the default of building a curriculum built around stochastic differential equations fits at best a small minority if anyone at all. There are not a lot of jobs that use this to the extent that you need multiple courses / projects in it.

I think the MFE programs should involve intense math but the lack of change in programs well after the contraction in derivatives jobs makes students feel the programs are out of touch.

I'm not saying I necessarily have the answer, but I don't blame anyone for being jaded by the status quo.

I agree, there is too much emphasis on stocalc and frankly, it was never really effective. For real modeling jobs, an employer is going to want a PhD at minimum, not someone who took a few crash-courses in stocalc.

I hear you, you need intense math, but the right kind of it. I think more courses in statistics and time-series analysis would be a lot more useful than stocalc.

I can agree with this. Multiple make-up exams is rare I think, maybe under special circumstances. In most cases, it's just one. And professors "tutoring" students is probably a stretch. I think what Nanda is referring to is - if you have specific questions about homework or the such, you can stay after class to chat or talk with them extensively during office hours. But if it's going to be an on-going thing, then you'd probably see the TA for that. I knew a classmate that had a tutor (PhD student) assigned to him after it was evident he was struggling a bit. If you are proactive, the resources will be there to help you pass.
One thing to note is that this kind of help is physically impossible for NY students.

One thing to note is that this kind of help is physically impossible for NY students.

hence why i've stated time after time to go to pittsburgh on these forums. if you're in new york, your only bet is to go to class, ask questions, and utilize the TA sessions on the weekends.

i can also confirm that professors have one on one sessions with students (not extensively, but a few sessions), that phd students tutor students who are having difficulty, and that many courses offer makeup exams.

I think what Nanda is referring to is - if you have specific questions about homework or the such, you can stay after class to chat or talk with them extensively during office hours. But if it's going to be an on-going thing, then you'd probably see the TA for that. I knew a classmate that had a tutor (PhD student) assigned to him after it was evident he was struggling a bit. If you are proactive, the resources will be there to help you pass.
That is exactly what i meant. Professor Hrusa helped everyone who had to take the makeup for Fixed Income. The help we get here is absolutely amazing. Back in India where I did my undergrad, we had nothing like this! Our professors did not care if you flunked the exam and we never had make ups either.

This is interesting... but since Nanda from Pittsburgh came out, here's my 2 cents from NYC's campus.

Networking - Networking is not natural to many quant students, and many students do not take advantage our location benefits. But for those who did... who would prioritize visiting an alumnus for dinner over sitting in a class... who kept track of all the corporate presentations and made good impressions... those who actively sought after career advices and ACTUALLY IMPLEMENTED THEM... did extremely well. The NYC students also have access to a lot more part-time students, and these part-timers are amazing sources of market information and career tips.

Curriculum - Everyone I've met in the program... are smarter than me, and I've been getting by. The question is... what the hell do YOU know about what skills the industry needs? Just bc you want to work in a particular role now, do you know if it will still exist by graduation? Just bc I got an offer to be a trader today, what harm would there be if I also have the necessary skill to shift into quant research? MSCF has a world-class advisory board from all major firms to oversee and update their curriculum. Every once in a while you have one or two kids or alumni complaining about how irrelevant a particular course is to his/her own role and disregard how his/her classmates might use it everyday. MSCF isn't just a trader program... or a quant research program... it crams us to be flexible within the financial industry for the long-run.

Faculty Support - I hate it when NYC students talk about not having faculty support because it simply is not true. I have seen those poor professors sitting alone on campus all the time when no one took the chance to speak with them. Professors have offered cell phone numbers, landline, email, skype accounts, even boat rides (Hrusa loves his boat) to support our students. People always want access to faculty support WHEN THEY WANT TO, and that is hardly fair. The culture that NYC students depending on each other is simply a pattern of nature because people do hw the last minute and at 3am. There are plenty of ways to talk to your professors. Go check the syllabus.

Career Support - I have never used career services support at other school, so I can't say if it's better than another school. But here's what I can tell you... On day one, Sondi ripped my resume and forced me to rewrite (and many after)... and then I emailed it an alumnus and he ripped it apart again (and repeat)... Given my background, my first round got all buyside firms but I admittedly prepared very poorly for my interviews. Sondi dragged me in, gave me feedback, and forced me to change. Second time around, I took EVERY OPPORTUNITY I COULD FIND... I would travel anywhere, and always call up alumni in the company before heading into an interview. Some alumni were cold, but some referred me the minute they met me (for which I'm really grateful), and others took me out to dinner and helped me tell me story. And let's not get me started on the access to the part-timers... most resourceful and helpful people EVER. Besides the school, I've seen part-timers and current students (who got offered) referring their peers multiple times, and there is really not much more you can ask for when the entire MSCF community wants you to succeed. And btw, almost everyone I interviewed with... had been alumni

In conclusion, the take away is that... MSCF isn't about a diploma or an education... it's an opportunity for you to become a part of this industry. That means meeting people, learning the lifestyle, and becoming a businessman who have the necessary skills to get work done but also the social wisdom to survive. Obviously, there are room for improvements, but our small size and industry connections have made the program extremely agile and responsive in comparison to other larger institutions.

Come now. This statement is just absurd... There is a clear, strong correlation.

We're going off topic, so I will just briefly explain why I don't think this is the case.
My perception is that MANY classmates are smarter than me, even if I might be better than some of them at StoCal given my background.

It's not a 100% correlation, sure. But someone with a very low IQ will have extreme trouble with Sto Cal, and dare I say, the attempt would be futile. And vice versa for high IQ. Specialization helps of course, and should be taken into account... there is always noise in any time series... but it's still a very good data point.

I agree with your second sentence, but now with the viceversa part.
It's not an if and only if, in my opinion ;)

/end off topic

Back