Education Advice for an Econ Guy

The ratio of interesting and deep results to definitions is close to zero. In contrast, areas like complex analysis, differential geometry, algebraic topology, and number theory have healthy ratios. I don't know if it's difficult for an econ major to pick up measure theory but it will be deadly tedious and boring -- and probably serve no purpose.
I won't really argue that, especially the Complex Analysis part. Admittedly, re-learning basic probability using the definitions of measure theory was pretty tedious. I will say that it forms the language of martingale theory, which I would say has a pretty good ratio of definitions to results.

Also sorry @SwissEcon for blowing up your thread haha If you can get through multi calc, calc based probability, and get some C++ under your belt you'll be okay.

First of all, thank you for all your input! I think that it´s best to hear different opinions ;).

I have a friend studying pure maths at ETH Zurich, he provided me with the course material; and in his opinion, measure and integration theory is fundamental because it offers the foundation for "further education". He suggested that I should study MT, Functional analysis, Stochastic Calculus. But well, he is very into maths and is only interested in research.

So, I think the first step should be getting in touch with C++ ;)

and in his opinion, measure and integration theory is fundamental because it offers the foundation for "further education". He suggested that I should study MT ...

If you're determined to do this, you could do worse than starting with Weir's Lebesgue Integration and Measure, as soon as you've completed a couple of semesters of undergrad real analysis.

First of all, thank you for all your input! I think that it´s best to hear different opinions ;).

I have a friend studying pure maths at ETH Zurich, he provided me with the course material; and in his opinion, measure and integration theory is fundamental because it offers the foundation for "further education". He suggested that I should study MT, Functional analysis, Stochastic Calculus. But well, he is very into maths and is only interested in research.
;)
Your friend is a pure maths, which is fine. But the advice is not useful IMO.

Computational finance is heavily applied.

So, I think the first step should be getting in touch with C++ ;)

As well as learning how to program.

Last edited:
Back