Master reading list for Quants, MFE (Financial Engineering) students

Yeah, I agree with you

How about Mark Joshi's Concepts and Practice in Mathematical Finance? I am also reading Shreve books and no doubt that they are good books for stochastic calculus.

But it seems that Joshi's books are not mentioned anywhere in this thread.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any good statistics book used in financial engineering?

(Based on personal opinions)

1) I have read some of the chapters here. They introduce the statistics as well as the financial interpretations Statistics and Data Analysis for Financial Engineering - with R examples | David Ruppert | Springer

2) This is by far my favorite book on time series analysis. However there is a lot mathematical derivation and theory, which is not necessary .
(A quick google search and you find a free version🤫;);) )

3) This is a really good book but not too technical (I should probably say theoretical). You get a presentation for Time Series Analysis and then a lot chapters with application to finance. If number 2 is too theoretical and you want something to the point then you can easily read the first chapters in this book.

PDF link (not sure if this is the latest version) :

Thanks. Actually I would like to know more about statistics questions that might appear during quant analyst interview.

We ought to redo this master reading list soon since it was first created years ago and there are many updated versions of books. Some may already be outdated.

I agree. Please do not hesitate to inform me if you need any help in organizing the master reading list.

Last edited:
We ought to redo this master reading list soon since it was first created years ago and there are many updated versions of books. Some may already be outdated.
Hi Andy. I am a rising senior who planning on graduate schools next year. Do you have an updated list of books?
Is it okay if I just read outdated books in the meantime?

Hi,

I am a newbie from a non-finance background but with experience in the banking sector. Can anyone help with books that introduce the basic concepts (like a primer) of financial engineering?

Hi,

I am a newbie from a non-finance background but with experience in the banking sector. Can anyone help with books that introduce the basic concepts (like a primer) of financial engineering?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I'm also a fan of this series Financial Engineering Explained | Wim Schoutens | Springer ; some titles are more specialized than others, The Greeks and Hedging Explained and Equity Derivatives Explained are good ones to start with.

Something really confuses me here. Is this reading list for Quant Developer or Quant Researcher? Because the two job profiles are actually different.

Also, how in this world are Derivatives Markets - McDonald and Options, Futures and Other Derivatives - Hull in MFE in pre-reading list? These two books are actually used in the graduate courses of ORFE Princeton.

Last edited:
Some book updates from my own pen

// PDE/FDM 2022
  • eBooks will publish on March 11, 2022.
  • In store date (the date books are available at retail) is March 17, 2022.

// C++11 for finance 2018

Maybe they (and other authors) could be added to an updated QN master list?

Last edited:
QuantNet International Guide to Financial Engineering Programs

FREE QUANT CAREER GUIDES
  • What do quant do ? A guide by Mark Joshi. (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Quant Careers (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Getting a Quant Job (see attachment)
  • Career in Financial Markets 2011- a guide by efinancialcareers. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Analysis. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Structuring. Download
  • Peter Carr's A Practitioner's Guide to Mathematical Finance (see attachment)
  • Max Dama's Guide to Automated Trading (see attachment)
CAREER AS A QUANT
BOOKS FOR QUANT INTERVIEWS
GOOD BOOKS TO READ BEFORE STARTING MFE PROGRAM
GENERAL READING ON WALL STREET
PROGRAMMING
C++ (ordered by level of difficulty)
C# (ordered by level of difficulty)
F# (ordered by level of difficulty)
Matlab (ordered by level of difficulty)
Excel
VBA
Python
FINITE DIFFERENCES
MONTE CARLO
STOCHASTIC CALCULUS
VOLATILITY
INTEREST RATE
FX
STRUCTURED FINANCE
STRUCTURED CREDIT
RISK MANAGEMENT/VAR
SAS/S/S-PLUS
HANDS ON
NOT ENOUGH YET?
This list is getting long in the tooth. i.e. it is outdated.

I have at least six of my modern books for an updated list.
And a section on Machine Learning is needed.

The list was initially made when Fred Flintstone was alive and Tyrannosaurus Rex roamed the earth. It probably needs to be redone from the ground up.
Indeed, I would also appreciate an updated version or if anyone else has posted on on the forum please feel free to share with me.

Back