Mental Math Struggle

• Thread starter Thread starter oozmax
  • Start date Start date
I am currently a rising junior at UC Berkeley. I am currently working in SWE and am aiming to break into Quant Trading this next summer as an intern.

I have just begun my preparation process (mainly reading and doing problems in the green book). I was told by many of my peers that I need to be good at mental math in order to land a job in QT. Is this true? I am naturally really bad at mental math and have tried zetamac but have shown virtually no signs of improvement. Is this it for me? What should I do to land an internship next summer?

Thank you all so much!

Hi, I am on the same path as you.Do you mind sharing the link for the green book.It would be of great help thanks.

I started at around ~20 on zetamac. Then I reached ~60 in a few days, and peaked out at about 85 on zetamac after a few months (I could probably keep getting higher if I tried, but no point). So just keep giving it time and practice everyday!

How does this translate to performing on actual mental math test? I finished the optiver 80 in 8 test with a minute left (and then got rejected at HR round, but that's besides the point).

Back