MFE Profile Evaluation

Hello everyone, I've been an avid reader of this forum and I'm reaching out for guidance on my MFE applications.

Background:
  • Education: B. Tech in Computer Engineering | MBA in Technology Management | CGPA 2.98/4.00 (84% in all relevant subjects)
  • GRE: 166Q, 156V (Planning to retake and improve Quant)
  • Relevant Courses:
    • Calculus 1 (C), Calculus 2 (A), Calculus 3 (A)
    • Linear Algebra 1 (C), Linear Algebra 2 (A)
    • Differential Equations (B), Probability (A)
    • Stats and Data Science
    • Programming in Python and C++
  • Programming Skills: Proficient in Python; Familiar with C++ (Good grades in programming labs in Uni)
  • Work Experience:
    • 4 Years in Top UK Investment Bank: 2 years doing Exotic Option Pricing
    • 4 month experience of Data Science Internship for a startup (Python and Tableau)
    • 4 months Full Time Work Ex in Data Warehousing and Mining for a top US Insurance Software Company
    • 2 Months DevOps internship in Python
  • Coursework Projects:
    • Stock Market Prediction using ML: Graded 3.75/4 by University
    • Research Project on IoT for Food Wastage: Graded 3.25/4 by University
    • Design Thinking Project
  • Community Involvement and Leadership role: Vice President for a Non-Profit Org in College (Internationally recognized) with various certificates
Target Schools:
  • Baruch
  • Berkeley
  • Chicago
  • CMU
  • Columbia MFE
  • Cornell
  • MIT
  • NYU Courant
  • Princeton
  • Stanford

Concerns:
  1. Based on my academic background and work experience, is my application competitive for the listed programs?
  2. I also plan on take Pre-MFE courses to strengthen my Academics. Would that be needed given my strong Work Ex?
  3. My grades are subpar, but it was a 5 year course and my grades in the last year have been 3.54 and 3.88/4. My scores in relevant maths, programming and analytics courses have been at 84%. Will schools still view this negatively?
  4. Should I retake GRE? I do have the luxury of time.
  5. Should I look for professional certificates?
  6. What gaps exist in my profile, and how might I address these to bolster my application?
  7. Are there other reputable schools I should also consider for my application?
Appreciate any insights. Thanks

Last edited:
Following up here if someone could find some of their precious time to lend? Thanks!

I think that your profile is decent, but I do think for some of the upper tier schools in particular: Princeton, Stanford, CMU, etc. you need a stronger GRE score or/and GPA as your stats are significantly below their averages. The pre-mfe courses might help in that regard for some programs.

Additionally, I would recommend doing whatever you can to do as well as possible on the math assessments for Princeton and Baruch if those are your goal programs.

Lastly, I would recommend getting at least one very strong academic letter of recommendation regardless of where you apply. As well a strong professional letter. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes I will be retaking the GRE. I also plan to take the grades MOOC by MITx on Mathematical Finance and C++ from Baruch to help my profile further. I do have a strong academic and professional LOR safe with me right now.
I wonder if there's more that I can do at my end though.

Back