Quant Dev able to move on to trading?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phil
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone,

After four years of experience in a small HF, I laterally moved on to a $1b quantitative HF trading equities in NY. My title's the same - Quantitative Developer.

Any comments on the possibility of Quant Developers moving on to Quant Traders or even better Quant PMs in two years? Essentially, in a position to actually take on risk. I can summarily describe my work as implementing the strategies for the PM.

I've gotten two responses:
1 - Some HFs tend to pigeon-hole their developers to just develop and code. I'm actually okay with this so long there's the possibility of moving on to risk taking down the line even if it's a small prop 5mio account.
2 - If the HF is small and tightly knit, I could show my abilities in the investing after finishing the main scope of my work. My plan would be to spend the day tidying up the Java engine, stay back an hour extra to tweak my trading model and then flash it to one of the PMs saying its extra work.

If it matters, I have a bachelors from a top US school and a few publications of quantitative strategies which illustrate my skill and interest in the strategies.

Phil

and a few publications of quantitative strategies which illustrate my skill and interest in the strategies.
Phil
Most likely nobody will even read them.
It is track record, what counts. Start building it now.

I, myself, do: Somewhat better than DUCKS
(in German, sorry, but one can still see the return, max.drawdown and other metrics).

Even a track record does not help you to move to Trading/PM, it will be very useful for you.

Back