Will I be able to get entry-level quant interviews?

I have some statements and i will end it here.

First,
what makes you think quants are just mathematicians? and i dont' understand what unreasonable assumptions you are talking about that we learned in class? can you name 1 unreasonable assumption before justifying this statement? as a matter of fact...i've taken a class with ken abbot in risk management. I am assuming he has given us the work during class that is being done in the field.

second,
I don't understand why you are attacking me indirectly? I merely stated that knowing financial engineering through school is needed. Its just too much to learn on your own.
I've taken lots of course work in EE. I have done 3 years of mechanical engineering in undergrad. It was just not my passion. I got bored so i switched to operations research. From there I went to financial engineering. Also, many teachers from the program are practioners and this is exactly what they do in the field. Wouldn't you rather learn from them first before entering in the field. Make connections etc?

so what kind of math is used in the field if you don't mind me asking?

Heck, the op didn't even say what field he wants to work in. He said quant. That could mean anything.

Third,
since you were a recruiter, perhaps you can pass my resume around? Im not a financial engineer yet...

Last edited:
First,
I'll give you one good example that came from my desk. Correlation matrices are highly unstable and vulnerable to shocks. Sometimes, you have to normalize things instead of getting a mathematically correct answer that might be right today and wrong tomorrow. That's where math becomes an art. You look at your models, and you figure out when they can go wrong, and you say I'm going to do something that's mathematically wrong, but I know is actually closer to the truth.

Second,
You have an interesting background. About it being too much to learn on your own, in reality, you only need to know what you need to know. Once you get into a new job, you will learn what you need to know, and you'll know what you don't need to know. Thus, it's not such a big task for EEs to catch up to MFEs. I've seen it happen a lot. And sorry for the attack. I just get overly passionate sometimes. Nothing personal. It's just over the internet.

Third,
Haha, I appreciate that. Let's see what happens in a few years.

First,
I'll give you one good example that came from my desk. Correlation matrices are highly unstable and vulnerable to shocks. Sometimes, you have to normalize things instead of getting a mathematically correct answer that might be right today and wrong tomorrow. That's where math becomes an art. You look at your models, and you figure out when they can go wrong, and you say I'm going to do something that's mathematically wrong, but I know is actually closer to the truth.

Second,
You have an interesting background. About it being too much to learn on your own, in reality, you only need to know what you need to know. Once you get into a new job, you will learn what you need to know, and you'll know what you don't need to know. Thus, it's not such a big task for EEs to catch up to MFEs. I've seen it happen a lot. And sorry for the attack. I just get overly passionate sometimes. Nothing personal. It's just over the internet.

Third,
Haha, I appreciate that. Let's see what happens in a few years.

cool cheers...

Back