COMPARE Stanford MCF vs Princeton MFin vs LSE Risk & Stochastic

• Thread starter Thread starter lim
  • Start date Start date
Based on what @lim said, I'm thinking that MIT finance might actually fit more or less all the requirements here:

It's not in New York, so if OP wants to live in another state for a year and see what's up there, it's a good choice (If you don't mind the weather ;) )
It can be tailored to be as quantitative as you want it to be while at the same time leaving doors open for regular finance jobs. just google: master finance MIT quantitative analyst site:linkedin.com
and see people working as quants or financial engineers (play with the keywords) who have the MIT Mfin degree.
I'm assuming the quality of education is top notch, so no need to discuss that.
Boston is a financial hub, and MIT has great reputation in New York so no problem there.

for me the best choices are Princeton and MIT. At the end of the day, you could call that a 1st world problem because it's not a choice between a no-name school and a M7 school. if OP is feeling a bit adventurous I say go for MIT, you'll make a fine Irish I have no doubt!

Last edited:
do you want to publish books or work in finance? do you want to do academic research in finance or work making money on the street?

Well.. ideally I want to be a trader or a quant.. not someone who is in academia! :)

Based on what @lim said, I'm thinking that MIT finance might actually fit more or less all the requirements here:

The only reason (apparently) that OP cites as not being too excited about Princeton is that it is in the NY region. Both fit the requirements but Princeton far surpasses MIT in quality, reputation on the Street, and alumni network. Personally I would never choose a less reputable program just because I want to experience living in another city. I can do that whenever I want, after I start working. Need to think long-term here, not short-term. I'd regret my decision later if I chose MIT in this scenario.

No.. I am really not trolling. All of your advice really helps and I greatly appreciate all the time you all have spent persuading me about each program. And after hearing from all of you, I am leaning very much towards Princeton. Thank you so much for advising and guiding me along the way :)

Back