Baruch MFE The 2014-2015 Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College

• Thread starter Thread starter dstefan
  • Start date Start date

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College
September 2014 - March 2015

The Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College offers a Pre-MFE Program for people interested in pursuing graduate studies in financial engineering, as well as for finance practitioners interested in studying the mathematical fundamentals behind financial models.

The Pre-MFE Program consists of three on-site seminars and one online seminar:
  • Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications (on-site)
  • Probability Theory for Financial Applications (on-site)
  • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering (on-site)
  • C++ Programming for Financial Engineering (online)
The 2014-2015 on-site seminars in the Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College will be offered on a September 2014 - March 2015 schedule. Enrollment in each seminar is limited to 40 people.
Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found here.

Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
Dates: September 17 – November 19, 2014
Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Director
Registration is now closed.

Probability Theory for Financial Applications
Dates: October 17 – December 12, 2013
Instructor: Tai-Ho Wang, Baruch MFE Faculty
Registration is now closed.

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
Dates: January 28 – March 25, 2015
Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Director
Syllabus: see below
Tuition: $1,450
Registration is now open and will continue until all seats are filled.

Dates: January 29 – March 26, 2015
Instructor: Rados Radoicic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Dates: January 27 – March 24, 2014
Instructor: Michael Carlisle and Ivan Matic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Schedule: Eight sessions:
- Lecture from 6-9pm (taught by the instructor)
- Review Session from 9-10pm (taught by the teaching assistants)
Each seminar concludes with a Final Exam.
These seminars are not offered online. They take place on location at Baruch College, in Midtown Manhattan.

Registration Process: Enrollment is limited to 40 people in each seminar. To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu with the following documents:
  • a current version of your resume
  • a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how does taking seminars in the Pre-MFE Program align with those goals
  • indicate which seminar(s) you intend to register for
Certifications:
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion will be issued upon passing the final exam and obtaining a 70% or higher average.
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion with Distinction will be awarded to students with a 90% or higher average.
  • Upon successfully completing all three seminars of the Pre-MFE Program with a higher than 70% average, a Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program will be issued.
  • A Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program with Distinction will be awarded to students who achieved a 90% or higher average in each of the three seminars.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have email my resume and personal statement to the address that Baruch gives me. How long should Iwait for the result of my application for the Pre-MFE program.

Qing - you should hear within a week, usually a lot sooner than that. Good luck!

Enrollment Update: as of 8/20/2014,

27 seats reserved and 13 seats currently available for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on September 17, 2014

23 seats reserved and 17 seats currently available for the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on October 16, 2014

A Baruch MFE Information Session with emphasis on the Pre-MFE seminars beginning in September 2014, will take place on Wednesday, September 3, at 6pm.

Current students and alumni of the program, some of whom are former Pre-MFE students, and the director of the program will answer questions and provide further information on the Baruch MFE Program and on the Pre-MFE seminars.

Date: Wednesday, September 3, at 6pm
55 Lexington Avenue (on the corner of Lexington Avenue and 24th Street)

RSVP and more information: http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/information-session/

Enrollment Update: as of 8/27/2014,

32 seats reserved and 8 seats currently available for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on September 17, 2014

26 seats reserved and 14 seats currently available for the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on October 16, 2014

How can I get a F1 visa without the I-20?

We do not provide I-20's/visa support for attending the Pre-MFE on-site seminars. As an international student / non-US resident, if you are already in the US you can certainly apply.

Enrollment Update: as of 9/9/2014,

37 seats reserved and 3 seats currently available for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering ApplicationsPre-MFE seminar beginning on September 17, 2014

29 seats reserved and 11 seats currently available for the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on October 16, 2014

Registration for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering ApplicationsPre-MFE seminar beginning on September 17, 2014 is now closed.

Dear Sir,

I recently got turned down by the admission committee for the Pre-MFE program. They told me to take the seminars is redundant based on my background. Although I took all the prerequisites class a long time ago and got B or above, I don't feel confident at all for my math background to gain admission at Baruch and I want take these classes to refresh my math background. I am wondering, if you could guide me through this? Thank you very much

Enrollment Update: as of 9/23/2014,

33 seats reserved and 7 seats currently available for the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on October 16, 2014

Registration for the Spring 2014 Pre-MFE seminars will open on October 15, 2014.

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
Dates: January 28 – March 25, 2015
Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Co-Director

Dates: January 29 – March 26, 2015
Instructor: Rados Radoicic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Dates: January 27 – March 24, 2015
Instructor: Michael Carlisle and Ivan Matic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Dear Sir,

I recently got turned down by the admission committee for the Pre-MFE program. They told me to take the seminars is redundant based on my background. Although I took all the prerequisites class a long time ago and got B or above, I don't feel confident at all for my math background to gain admission at Baruch and I want take these classes to refresh my math background. I am wondering, if you could guide me through this? Thank you very much

Admission to the Pre-MFE seminars depends on your background, objectives, and availability of seats. Send an email to inquire about the decision to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu

Back