Baruch College - Master in Financial Engineering

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE Admission Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin
  • Start date Start date
MSQF at Fordham

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get into this program. Is a GMAT of 620(46Q 30V) good enough ?, 3 years work experience in Information Technology working with Financial clients in the US

MJ.

I guest your best bet to this type of info would be to contact the Fordham program directly and ask for their latest admission stats. Ask them to publish the admitted students profile online so you can see how your stats compare to them. Email their director(s) directly for input.

Instead of cold contacting current/former students, I was wondering if current/former students/applicants of Baruch MFE can share their experiences throughout the admission process. Also, how long did it take to receive your admission decision? How did your interview go with Dr. Stefanica?

Truth be told, most of the student profiles of the past three classes are quite intimidating and since my past performance and work experience are irreversible and incontestable facts and the letters of recommendation are out of my hands, what is one advice you'd give to current applicants? Thanks in advance.

Actually, no need to cold call students; if you contact the program they will give you a willing person to talk to.

I waited a month or two for an admissions decision; the interview was uneventful. Having compared notes with other students, the interviews can be quite varied.

Thanks for sharing the link and your experience Andy. It's unfortunate that my location can not afford me to waltz into the department tomorrow or sit in for a lecture. It seems many of you had personal contacts with the program as an applicant. Does Baruch have outreach events outside New York City?

I don't think Baruch has any plan for US cities tour marketing events like a few other programs out there that are under the business school. (UCB, UCLA)
If you are to apply to any program, it's always advisable to come visit the people there and talk to students, sit in the class. That's one way to get the real "vibe" of the program instead of looking at flashy website, brochures.
Take a vacation to NYC and kill two birds with one stone. The local economy can use some of your money here.
A good number of applicants are working, living in tri-state so it works out for lot of people. You can however join the monthly online chat with the director, one of which is coming up in Jan 8th, 2009.
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770

hey, I just ran into a problem. when I signed on to the online Baruch application, I noticed that my recommendations that were submitted are not there anymore. When I look back to the email I received, it says that the recommendations were sent for the year 2008, where now the application is for 2009. I thought the application was for 2009 when my professors submitted the recommendations in late November. is there a way to retrieve the letters? My professors are away cannot resubmit the letters.

awesome that worked. but if i submit it through the 2008 application page, will it be okay for fall 2009 admissions?

1. I think you can apply sooner and say that you are enrolled in the course now.

2. As long as they are willing to write it, seems like a good thing.

I concur with both pieces of advice.

TOEFL

I have been working in the U.S. for the past 3 years. I am planning to take the MFE course as a part time student. Do I need to submit TOEFL score with my application?

I have just submitted the online application for baruch MFE program. Just wonder whether I am in round 1 or round 2? How soon will I get any response? (within one month?) I can't see this from the website. There is no clear timeline for each round.

Thanks

There are no application rounds for the Baruch MFE Program. All applications are evaluated on a rolling basis once they are complete. You should expect a response within four to six weeks of the application being complete, but usually much faster.

Good luck!

Hi Andy, do u know why I can't log in the track system with the default user name and password? I just submitted the online application yesterday. Is it because of time lag? Thanks

Hello everyone!

Whenever I try to check my application status via the Application Status Tracker, I got the following message :

Baruch MFE Application Status System
Thank you very much for applying the Baruch College MS Program in Financial Engineering. Unfortunately, the Admissions Committee will not be able to make a decision on your application, because it is still incomplete as of now. "

It is now been 10 days since I am trying to contact someone at baruch.mfe@gmail.com but I never received any message back to solve this issue.

I would like to know if someone had the same problem and what should I do to solve it.

Thanks!

You need to contact the Grad Admission Office because they are the ones holding your file. The Baruch MFE program only get the files and evaluate when they are complete so asking the MFE people why your case is complete is not going to do any good.

Ms. Cathy Levkulic, from the Graduate Admissions Office;
phone: (646) 312-4493;
email: Cathy_Levkulic@baruch.cuny.edu.

Andy, thank you very much for your attention.

Cathy answered that

"You application was completed and it went to committee a decision letter
was mailed to you on February 9, 2010."

So it seems that my application status was not updated in the online system but a final decision was already made and it was sent to me by postal mail. Right?

In this case, I wonder if it is possible to request an update on my online application tracker since this postal mail could take a long time to arrive here in the far Brazil :)

Back