C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Verilog HDL, some python, C and I'm currently taking a C# game programming course @ coursera for fun.

Current work: I work for a trading company designing FPGA acceleration boards. Past jobs have included designing high speed networking hardware for companies including SpaceX

Intended pace of program: With work, C# and also taking an intro to Financial Engineering Course on Coursera It may very well take me 20 weeks, but I'm shooting for 16 weeks or less.
I think knowing the object-oriented features in C# will be very helpful in the later stages of C++ course which also discusses option pricing using maths such as Monte Carlo and binomial method.

I'd start a new world to me.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: actuallly only few experience. This couse might be challenging to me, but I will try my best to overcome it.

Current work: Financial mathematic student

Intended pace of program: before May.

hi everybody :)

Objective
: Learn C++ for MFE program
Programming EXP : VBA , a little bit C , R
Current Work : Intern at a Securities company
Intended Pace : before July

Hi it's Jimmy from Peking University and I just noticed this thread.:rolleyes:

Objective:
Prof. Stefanica requires me to finish advanced course before summer and I though I'd better finish this one first.:ROFLMAO:

Programming experience: C++ (when I was still a freshman undergraduate), python (self learning at codecademy), R (used in microstructure course and internship), MATLAB (used in advanced econometric course).

Current work: Senior undergraduate from Peking University who received an offer from Baruch MFE.

Intended pace of program: Hope I could finish this course within two weeks and move on to the advanced one, though it sounds like mission impossible.:cry:

Hi everyone

Objective:
Like Jimmy, Prof. Stefanica requires me to finish advanced course before summer and I though I'd better finish this one first.

Programming experience: C++, python, MATLAB

Current work: Researcher

Intended pace of program: Like Jimmy, hope I could finish this course within two weeks and move on to the advanced one, though it sounds like mission impossible.

Hi it's Young who was the classmate of Jimmy

Objective:
The same reason with Jimmy

Programming experience: C++ (have learned from Coursera), R (self leaned), MATLAB (used in internship and research projects).

Current work: a student who received an offer from Baruch MFE.

Intended pace of program: unlike Jimmy, I think 3 weeks would be fine for me

Objective: To learn C++ for MFE program.
Programming Experience: Java, C#, C++
Current Work: Accountant
Intended Pace: Since I am also doing a graduate certificate in quantitative finance through Wilmott, I intend to finish this before I submit my last project by June.

Hi all, I am a math and statistics double major.

Objective: To satisfy my condition for final admission to the MFE program.

Programming Exp.: R, Python

Current Work: Final semester at college.

Intended pace: Wish to complete the course by June 20th because the school would want proof of completion by July 1st.

Hello all. I recently completed my undergraduate degree, double majoring in Finance and Mathematics.

Objective: I have always wanted to pursue the Masters of Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance degree and believe performing well in this course and thereafter the Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications course will assist me in getting into a reputable program.

Programming experience: MATLAB, R and Python for undergrad, currently using VBA for my job.

Current work: Interned in Sales & Trading over the summer but currently working as a management consultant at a small healthcare consulting shop. I plan on taking the FRM Part I this December and am already ~40% through the course material.

Intended pace of program:
I believe I can finish in 13 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey everybody!

Objective: To learn C++ and get a better idea as to if I would like to switch career paths.

Programming experience: Mostly Python and R for the past 5-6 years.

Current work: My BS is in chemical and petroleum engineering and I have been working in the E&P industry for the past 15 years - specifically reservoir engineering, concentrating on acquisitions and divestitures in North America. With the oil price downturn, the fact that my job is very financial in nature, and the fact that I like to do programming in my spare time, I am looking at possibly changing professions.

Intended pace of program:
As fast as I can. I have a consulting business, but want to devote a lot of time to this, so I am shooting for 12 to the full 16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom