Python Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Learn and feel confident in using Python before joining MFE program in September.

Programming Experience: C++ for Financial Engineering certification, Matlab, some R, and some Python

Work Experience: Will be joining Columbia's MSFE program this September.

Intended Pace of Program: My goal is to finish the course before my program starts. This would give me 8 weeks from today to finish the course. Finishing this course while starting my first semester would be a difficult task.

objective: be a better python industry programmer

programming experience: mostly python for data science and quantitative analysis, have done some C#, SQL

work experience: prev trading research at asset management firm, currently quant analyst at a pension

intended pace of program: 4-6 hours a week

Objective: Learn and feel confident in using Python in day to day work. Trying to get a refresher.

Programming Experience: C++ for Financial Engineering certification. Heavy usage in python for data analysis and building back tests

Work Experience: 1 year+

Intended Pace of Program: My goal is to finish the course in 12 weeks and get a good refresher in the my python programming

Objective: the goal is to feel comfortable and confident with Python, prepping for MFE

Programming Experience: Some R, Matlab, Python

Work Experience: Credit Risk management, some research in Econ

Intended Pace of Program: Finish sooner than the deadline, but I won't rush just to "finish early" the goal is to learn as much as possible.

Objective: I am a rising senior in Mathematics and Economics, looking for RA/intern opportunities in Quant Finance and Econ, and preparing for MFE/ Econometrics Programs. My goal is to be proficient in Python, especially for using it in Finance and Econ application. I hope I will be more confident with my coding skills after this course.

Programming Experience: Matlab for Numerical Methods, STATA for Econometrics, Intro to Python, Data Structure in Java

Work Experience: Summer Intern in Lending/Fin-Tech

Intended Pace of Program: 4-6 hours/week. I hope I can finish the course around Nov.

Objective: Broaden the knowledge of programming in Python - especially programming in Python in a finance context.

Programming Experience: Some C++, R, and Python

Work Experience: 3+ year in Finance

Intended Pace of Program: Try to stay on top of the schedule

Objective: Sharpen my hands-on data science/machine learning skills in the Python language as well as get more extensive exposure to Python libraries concerning data science/machine learning.

Programming Experience: Have previously taken the C++ course on here and have taken courses in VBA, SQL, and Python from ScriptUni. Through grad school, some R programming experience. Through research-related work, used Matlab extensively.

Work Experience: About 8 months at an energy hedge fund start-up as a quant developer/trading analyst. Will be starting a new role next week as a quant risk analyst at a power and gas company.

Intended Pace of Program: Try to finish within the allocated schedule I'm given, but hopefully I can finish faster.

Last edited:
Objective: To refresh my skills in Python and learn more for Financial analytics.

Programming Experience: Being Finance major don't have too much experience other than some basic Python and good knowledge of SQL.

Work Experience: 3 years total experience - About 1 year in Deutsche Bank as an analyst in Global Prime Finance. 2 years in a fintech startup in Risk management.

Intended Pace of Program: Hoping to finish the program in 2 months

Hello there,

Objective: Pivot to Python completely by the end of this year and prepare for future quant based roles.

Programming Experience: Intro to Python and a few DataCamp courses.

Work Experience: Analyst II at a risk consultancy branch of an Investment Bank in New York.

Intended Pace of Program: Intending to use all 12 weeks. Taking the course whilst continuing my day job. 2-3hrs during the week and 9 hours in the weekend.

Objective: Learn and become better at using Python and apply to fixed income portfolio management as well as performing back test on bond investment stratetgies.

Programming Experience: Intro to C# and have audited courses in python.

Work Experience: 3 year experience as a fixed income analyst with current focus on buying and selling FX currencies and potential advance to bond portfolio management

Intended Pace of Program: Hoping to finish the course in two months

Hi All!

Objective: Learn Python to future-proof myself. I have three months before I start studying again for the CFA exams and I wanted to learn some coding.
Programming experience: VBA (Can modify set macros for client needs), R (Time Series Analysis)
Work Experience: 2.5 Years as a Financial Modeling Associate (Use VBA and Excel to effectively pull and present our data for client use)
Intended Pace of Program: 12 weeks

Hi All!
Objective: Become familiar with Python for solving financial problems. Gain some experience of computational finance.
Programming Experience: Java (Oriented-Programming: entry-level computer science course), R (entry-level data science course for environmental science)
Intended Pace of Program: 5-6 weeks
I am ready to struggle through this course and learn some real stuff. Good luck to us all.

Hey everybody!

Lisa here. Very excited to be joining you all.

Objective: I have two: 1) learn how I can apply Python to investment decision-making and 2) prepare for MFE

Programming Experience: none yet (...yes I seem to be the outlier here :P but I will work extra hard!)

Work Experience: 4+ years in investment management with focus on fundamental research

Intended Pace of Program: 10 weeks

Hi all! hoping to get some very good hands-on experience from this course.

Objective: To satisfy programming prerequisite for MFE program.

Programming Experience: Only some basic python from MOOC

Work Experience: Around 7 years working in equity research in BB.

Intended Pace of Program: I'd like to finish the course as soon as possible, so would be working on the full pace.

Back