C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs, and for the requirement of quant jobs.

Programming experience: intro to C and C++, a little MATLAB.

Current work: Graduate student at Yeshiva Univ., major in Economics.

Intended pace of program: I would like to finish as quickly as possible, hopefully in this summer.

Hi guys,

I'm excited to enroll in the course. I am joining UChicago MSFM in Fall 2015.

Objective: I would like to refresh my programming skills, pass the programming placement exam and be more comfortable with courses at school.

Programming experience: C++, C#, VBA, SQL and various scripting languages

Current work: Trading support

Intended pace of program: I am planning to finish the course in 2 months if possible.

Hi everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ to enhance my programming skills

Programming experience: Java, C/C++, Python, Scala

Current work: I am currently working at a leading investment bank on their proprietary risk platform to support risk calculations for their trading desks.

Intended pace of program: I am planning to finish the course as soon as possible...

Hi All,

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Programming Experience: Basic courses in C++, SQL, and R
Current Work: Undergraduate in Maths and Stats (Commence my final year in October)
Intended Pace: Hopefully without deferring the course, before I get back to uni :)

Hi Everyone I just realized I never did this,

Objective: Fill in the many gaps in my C++ knowledge in prep. for MFE programs
Programming Experience: Basic courses in C++, some Java
Current Work: Undergraduate in Math and Econ, going into 4th year
Intended Pace: Hope to be finished before the end of August

Hi, everyone! I'm very excited to take this course with you all!

Objective: Be an intermediate coder in C++, and plus, admission to MFE programs.
Programming experience: A little C / MATLAB / Python.
Current work: Bank.
Intended pace of program: Hope to be finished before the mid of July.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Just started the course a few days ago. Loving it so far

Objective:
To learn C++ to apply to my job, and possibly for admission to grad school, maybe MFE, maybe MS CompSci

Programming experience: Totally self taught, mostly python. I did undergrad in Econ and completed all 3 levels of the CFA program.

Current work: Currently am one of two people running a smallish (50M AUM) quant hedge fund (short term, but not HFT). Since we're a small fund I wear many hats. First and foremost is designing and implementing trading strategies, but I also built our entire automated trading infrastructure from the ground up as well as our backoffice reporting and management systems.

Intended pace of program: As fast as possible! Time is money in this game!

Hi Everyone,

Just started the course yesterday, loving everything that's in store. Exited also at the prospect of meeting a lot of like minded folk all in pursuit of the same goal.

Objective: Learn C++ to enhance my programming skills to apply for the MFE programs, also to apply it on certain projects I am working on.

Programming Experience: C++ (beginner), Python (beginner). Mostly self taught. Mechanical Engineering Graduate.

Current work: Recently started working as a fund researcher for an Dubai based Investment advisory, had previously worked as a supply chain analyst for a Pharmaceutical company.

Intended pace of program: Exactly what @Brom Rector (above) said!!

Hi Everyone,

Just enrolled in the course.

Objective: To learn C++ and strengthen my understanding of OOP.

Programming Experience: Matlab and C

Current work: Electrical Engineer specializing in telecommunications cables.

Intended pace of program: Within two months.

Back