C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hello everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ for the admission of CMU MSCF
Programming Experience: Java script
Current Work: Graduate student
Intended Pace: As soon as possible

Hi Everyone, hopefully i'll be joining the Summer cohort of C++ students.
Thought I'd start a thread to get to know my fellow coursemates.

Objective: Just like many others, I am here to learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Java, Oracle (5+ years ago), some self-taught SQL and PerlScript for on-the-job automation

Current work: Student

Intended pace of program: As quickly as possible. My pace will probably go in stops and starts given that I will have two interruptions. The first is a one-week pause for my brother's wedding, and the second will be a road-trip across the country (I am expecting this to take about 5 days, plus getting set up in my new home!). Given this, I will be working extra hard early and late in the program.

Hi all,

Objective:
Interested in coding and hope to find a career in comp fin/quant. Also considering for some relevent masters.
Programming experience: None.
Current work: Consultancy in a financial software company. Previously a derivatives trader at some prop firms.
Intended pace of program: Hoping to finish within 3.5 months.

Hi all,

Objective: Learn C++ for admissions to MFE program
Programming experience: Not much. I participated in a programming (Pascal) competition back in high school. However, it was all about math.
Current work: Student
Intended pace of program: I have wasted my first 2 weeks because of the intense summer term, but I hope I could be able to finish it around mid-August.​

Hi everyone, I am new here, so I will just introduce myself.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program entry.

Programming Experience: C, Sql, SAS
Current Work: student
Intended Pace: I hope to finish this course within 2 months.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Nothing serious. Just a little bit of this and that for school projects.
Current work: Final year Mechanical Engineering/Economics/Business Undergrad.
Intended pace of program: Not sure, but hopefully I will be able to finish before October 2012.

Objective: Learn C++ for professional development
Programming Experience: SAS, SQL
Current Work: Risk Analytics at a buy-side firm
Intended Pace: Currently working full-time, hope to learn concepts and program at a decent pace

Name: Bradley "Ori" Hughes

Objective: To learn C++ to work on a non-profit project, as well as get started in the C++ field as a freelancer.

Programming Experience: AHK, and C# editing.

Current Work: Retail store manager.

Intended Pace: With my schedule being so hectic, I'm hoping to be done in a month or two.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE program

Programming Experience: none

Current Work: Mortgage customer service/ waiter/ student

Intended Pace: I am in no real hurry. With two jobs, a family and school I am going to have to fit the coursework in here and there whenever I can.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE program

Programming Experience:None at all _ read a VBA book a while ago; can't remember much.

Current Work: Operations staff at a commercial bank.

Intended Pace: Hopefully to clear by December 2012.I really hope to interact with as many of you here as possible.

Hello,​
Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Current Work: In my senior of Economics major
Intended Pace: I would like to complete this course by the end of this year 2012​

Hello All,

Objective: Apply for MFE program(my second master), get some programming background
Programming Experience: A little VBA,
Current Work: Graduate Student
Intended Pace: Not sure. hopefully by the end of September

Hi Everyone,
Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Current Work: Worked as financial analyst for 4 years. Currently full time student, taking applied math courses to help with MFE admissions.
Intended Pace: I plan to use my time effectively to learn the language as well as possible, and hopefully earn a distinction on the certificate. So perhaps, I may use most of the 16 weeks.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program and career
Current Work: Worked as a derivatives trader, currently unemployed
Intended Pace: I plan to finish approximately a level per week and hopefully finish within 2.5 months

Hi all !
Objective: Learn C++ during my MFE program.
Programming Experience: a little bit matlab
Current Work: MFE student
Intended pace: Finish class before September 2012

Hey guys,

Objective: Learn c++ for admission into MFE program
Programming Experience: Took an intro level course to c++ years ago
Current Work: Finishing up mathematics of finance bachelors degree
Intended pace: Finish before December 2012

Hello everyone, I am so excited to finally started working on C++ eventhough late
Objective: Learn C++ for admission into MFE programs

Programming experience: Some VBA, Some Matlab

Current work: Validation Analyst in an Investment Bank

Intended pace: Hopefully by the end of the year

Back