C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Learn and become proficient in C++ to apply for MFE programs.
Programming Experience: None
Current Work: Currently a Senior at Manhattan College studying Finance & Economics
Intended Pace: Not very sure but I am hoping that once I get going I will have it done pretty smoothly

Objective: Learn and become proficient in C++ to apply for MFE programs.
Current Work: Currently a Senior at Manhattan College studying Finance & Economics
Intended Pace: Not very sure but I am hoping that once I get going I will have it done pretty smoothly
I think you'll be fine; great support from the TAs here and great interaction with the other students.
Good luck.

Hi!
I am an undergraduate student from China. Now I am preparing for applying graduate programs in Financial Engineering.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Python, R, Matlab(a little...)

Current work: Senior year of finance major

Intended pace of program: As quick as possible! Hope I can manage to acquire this programming language.

Hello everyone,
I am looking forward to have a comprehensive study on C++.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to Business Analysis.

Programming experience: Into level C++

Current work: Risk Management Intern

Intended pace of program: Hope i could learn well as quick as possible!

Happy holidays and what a wonderful time to start a new program!

Objective: Learn C++ in Financial Engineering context. I want to transition into quantitative space with 100% commitments.

Programming experience: SQL, VBA, Python (through pre-MFE program), Java, C (through online education program)

Current work:
9 years professional experience in asset management. Non-quantitative components.

Intended pace of program: Accelerated between now and new year, 4 hrs during workdays and 6-8 hrs during non-workdays. Depends on how much can be done and will have to slow down as work builds-up after year-end. Will adjust my schedule accordingly.

Good luck!
The C++ syntax etc. takes a bit of getting used to. So, if you get stuck really, take a break and /or ask the TAs.

Training/study blocks of 2 hours is not a bad strategy.

Last edited:
Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Elementary Java and Python.

Current work: Freshmen double-majoring mathematics and economics with a minor in business.

Intended pace: Plan to finish the course before the end of January 2020.

Hi everyone, looking forward to this course and working with all of you.

Objective: Learn C++ to help my applications to MFE / quantitative finance masters programs (applications are in for admission in Fall 2020)

Programming experience: None at all but hoping to change that with this course...

Current work: Worked as an investment banker at a large bank for the last two years after getting my MBA. Left my job recently to focus on applying to MFE / quant finance programs to transition from I-banking to a more quant / asset management-type role.

Intended pace: Plan to finish the course before the end of January 2020. I start two in-person math courses at Baruch's Pre-MFE Program in late January, so I hope to have this completed by then so I can focus on those.

Hello everyone,

I'm a Business Econ major and trying to get a Master in Business Analytics. Hope everything goes well for you all!

Objective: Learning C++ for data analysis and cumulate necessary coding skills for BA
Current Work: Senior undergraduate student
Intended pace: must be done by Jan 15th if possible......

Hello everyone,

I'm a Business Econ major and trying to get a Master in Business Analytics. Hope everything goes well for you all!

Objective: Learning C++ for data analysis and cumulate necessary coding skills for BA
Current Work: Senior undergraduate student
Intended pace: must be done by Jan 15th if possible......
Jan 15 2020?? No way. Give yourself 16 weeks.

@APalley
@GONG CHEN

Hi Everyone,
I am a graduate student of Operations research at Columbia.
How much hours every week on average I need to work for this course to get certificate in distinction.
I have good experience of building quantitative models in python ( Quantopian / Jupyter platform ) and optimization models using Gurobi.

Back