C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hello everyone, I am Jahaan Rawat. I graduated from the University of Toronto in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Economics.
Objective: Develop a deeper understanding of C++ for Financial Engineering and prepare for MFE programs in the future
Programming Experience: Python (Expert), Java (Intermediate), R (Intermediate), C# (Intermediate), Solidity (Intermediate), C++ (Basics), SQL (Basics)
Work experiences: Machine Learning Engineer (past internship), Quantitative developer for my start up (Current)
Intended Pace: Finish in the given time frame.
C# and C++ are similar in many (but also different). C# generics are useful when you get to C++ templates.

This is Jie, and currently enrolled in MQE program at UCLA. I would like to be a quant researcher in the future and plan to apply an MFE next year.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Python, SQL, C++.

Current work: The sad jobless student.

Intended pace of program: As soon as possible, I am committed to challenging myself to deeply understand a new subject. I believe gaining proficiency in C++ is essential. Alongside this, I also plan to develop my mathematical skills for quantitative analysis.:X3::thumbsup::X3:

Hello everyone !! Happy to join you all here !!

My name is Miguel and I am taking this course to getting started into the Financial Engineering world.

Objective: To learn the C++ skills and use cases applied in Financial Engineering.​
Programming experience: C, C++, C#, Assembler, Python, Java, Pascal.​
Current work: IT & Smart Technologies Solutions Architect​
Intended pace of program: Aiming to complete the course as soon as possible, maybe 8 weeks (?) ...​

Thank you and hope to see you around !! :):thumbsup:

Hello everyone, I am very happy to join this community.

My name is Shitian Lin and you can also call me Steve. I am taking this course to systematically learn C++ as well as to learn about some real-world applications in Finance.

Objective: To systematically learn C++ with an emphasis on the financial industry in order to prepare for entering this field.
Programming experience:
Python, C, C++.
Current work: Incoming Master's Student
Intended pace of program: Aiming to complete the course as soon as possible, by 8/1/2023.

Thank you so much and I am very excited about learning from you guys!

Hello everyone! This is Terry Wang and I am so happy to join you all in this course!
Objective: Learning how C++ is used in financial engineering and set a foundation for future courses.
Programming experience: C++, Python, MATLAB
Current work: Junior student studying quantitative finance
Intended pace of programme: Finish before September this year when application for MFE programmes begin

Hi everyone! This is Yildiz Altin and I am excited to join you all in this course!
Objective: Learning how C++ is used in financial engineering and set a foundation for future courses.
Programming experience: Python, R and R-studio, Mathematica, Excel
Current work: Treasury Advisory Analyst at Deluxe
Intended pace of programme: Finish before the application for MFE program

Hi everyone! I am Mateo and I graduated from Oregon State University with a BS in CS.
Objective: Refresh/go deeper on C++ knowledge and learn applications for finance to prepare for quant dev interviews and a potential MFE.
Programming Experience: C, C++, Javascript, compete w/ Python, some assembly, C#
Current Work: Full Stack Software Engineer @ Fortune 500
Intended Pace: 12 weeks

Hey everyone, I am Jason, and happy to join the course. I first learned about the course through browsing on Quantnet and research on LinkedIn
Objective: Learn C++ systematically in preparation for grad coursework. Coming from a more traditional econ and finance undergrad and wanting to gain more confidence and experience in coding
Programming experience: Python, Excel/VBA, Stata, used MATLAB a couple of times
Current work: Incoming Financial Math student
Intended pace of program: Aiming to complete before school starts in September, but will adapt and see how my learning pace goes

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm Ryan, excited to learn C++ to help bolster my programming skills.

Objective: Learn C++ with a focus on its applications to finance
Programming Experience: Python and SQL Server
Current Work: Analyst for a family office in the multifamily real estate space
Intended Pace: Complete within the given 16-week time frame

Hey everyone, I am Min-Hsueh Chiang and you can just call me Johnny. I am very excited and happy to join the course. Hope I could learn a lot throughout the course.

Objective: Learn C++ gradually in a more systematic way which could not only help enhance my coding skills, but also the theory and algorithms in computer science.
Programming experience: Python, R, Excel/VBA.
Current work: Fresh Graduate
Intended pace of program: Aiming to learn C++ and have a more solid understanding of how it plays as a role in the financial engineering industry.

Hello everyone, I'm Candice and I'm excited to join this course.

Objective: expand my skillset

Programming experience: Python, Java, VBA, Matlab, R

Current work: risk quant

Intended pace of program: complete within the given time frame
How I discover the course:

Hello everyone, my name is Sasha

Objective: Seeking more structured thinking when programming. I have coded in Python and R before as a tool, but I miss on some of the good practices that professional coders utilize.
Programming experience: Python and R.
Current work: options
Intended pace of program: Ideally, to finish it in 10 weeks. But I have had no prior C++ background.
How I discover the course:

Back