C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hello everyone,

My name is Kwame Okrah.
Objective: Learn C++ (through financial engineering examples)
Programming Experience: R (expert level), C (beginner level), Python (beginner level)
Current Work: I am currently a statistician in the biotech industry
Intended Pace: Approx. 3 months

Cheers!

Greetings everyone, my name is Dexter.

Objective: Learn C++ so as to be better qualified for MFE programs
Programming Experience: Java (has been ~3 years)
Current Work: M.A. student in math at a US uni, research centered around harmonic, fourier and stochastic analysis
Intended Pace: 8 - 12 weeks

Greetings Folks, I am Pasquale. I enrolled about one month ago, but I have been quite busy due to my job and I forgot to introduce myself!

Objective: Learn C++ in order to apply for Graduate Studies (still wondering if to apply for MFE or PhD)
Programming Experience: R, SQL (almost 2 years)
Current work: Rating and Credit risk analyst at Central Bank of Italy
Intended pace: By the end of August (16 weeks)

Greetings Folks, I am Pasquale. I enrolled about one month ago, but I have been quite busy due to my job and I forgot to introduce myself!

Objective: Learn C++ in order to apply for Graduate Studies (still wondering if to apply for MFE or PhD)
Programming Experience: R, SQL (almost 2 years)
Current work: Rating and Credit risk analyst at Central Bank of Italy
Intended pace: By the end of August (16 weeks)
In bocca al lupo! Forza.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am Hao.

Objective: Learn about the basics of C++ and the application in quant finance
Programming Experience: entry level of R and Python
Current work: Graduate student major in data analytics
Intended pace: hopefully complete the program by the end of September

Hello everyone, my name is Rich.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs and more generally learn solid programming principles that will lay a solid foundation for further studies after this course.

Programming experience: R and some C++

Current work: Undergrad student Math major.

Intended pace of program: Just finished a summer course in stochastic processes, will be studying for the GRE while taking this and next semester will probably start towards the end of this program. Would say around 2 months to complete.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, All !

Objective: Learn C++ for financial quantitative modelling as start in my profile.
Programming Experience: C++, Python, Octave, Shell, Perl
Current Work: Developer at prop trading.
Intended Pace: Aiming for 2 -3 months, depending on difficulty of this program, time spread may vary.

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all safe and healthy.

Objective: To cover the prerequisites for MFE program and also build a solid foundation in object oriented programming.
Programming experience: Intermediate C,C++, python
Current work: Portfolio and Risk Analyst
Intended pace of program: Finish by end of September or early October

Any 2021 MFE program aspirant reading this and willing to connect, please give me a shout.

Happy studying everyone

Hi there, just joined the C++ intro course. Planned to start much earlier, but a lot of things happened over the past few months at my previous work place and got in the way. Nevertheless, better late than never.

Objective: Learn C++, refresh some knowledge from past programming classes.
Programming experience: Just some elementary first/second year computer science courses (I recall some graph stuffs like brute-forcing traveling salesman problem in the last one I took).
Current work: None, just resigned from a hedge fund research/database analyst role. Admitted to Columbia MFE for Fall 2020 enrollment.
Intended pace of program: Will try to juggle this with some pre-program stuffs from Columbia (bootcamps/career prep seminars) for the next 4 weeks-ish, and then continue at a slower pace after semester starts. I've never used C++ before (only C and Java), but some of the Quantnet C++ course contents seem to overlap with what I've studied before (in different languages) so that might help a bit.

Back