C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi there! So excited to join this class and nice to meet you!

Objective: learning C++ for financial engineering; get prepared for graduate study
Programming Experience: python
Current Work: student
Intended pace: try to complete within 10 weeks

let's get it and have fun
Go for it :)

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. I am Clare, a finance student in Beijing. So excited to take this course :)
Objective: C programming; Admission to MFE programs
Programming experience: Python, Matlab, a little C, a little R
Current work: Business Data Analysis Intern at AWS
Intended pace of program: July

Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a master's level statistics student in Philadelphia.
Objective: I would like to become a quant someday and I feel this course will not only teach me C++ but also the necessary skills to pick up other languages
Programming Experience: R, SAS, Matlab, a little Python.
Current Work: Student, but joining a statistical modeling team at a bank this summer
Intended Pace: Hoping to finish by end of July

Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a master's level statistics student in Philadelphia.
Objective: I would like to become a quant someday and I feel this course will not only teach me C++ but also the necessary skills to pick up other languages
Programming Experience: R, SAS, Matlab, a little Python.
Current Work: Student, but joining a statistical modeling team at a bank this summer
Intended Pace: Hoping to finish by end of July
C++ is a great foundation for other languages indeed. Good luck!

Hi I am a graduate student at Columbia University in New York City studying Operations Research.

Objective: develop classical financial and mathematical models in C++, learn metaprogramming basics in C++

Programming experience: Python, R, a little bit of Java

Current work: Interning at an Asset Manager doing Quantitative Research in the structured credit space while getting MS

Intended pace of program: As soon as possible

Hi everyone, I just enrolled for the course after attempting the first two homework lessons, and look forward to getting into the meat of the coursework soon! Good luck to everyone!

Objective: Become a decent C++ programmer, learn the intuition behind building good code, and hopefully get considered for FE programs when I apply next application season. Much work to be done.

Programming Experience: Python

Current Work: Work in risk at a bank. Goal is to move into a role related to investing, and is more quantitative in nature.

Intended pace of program: Hopefully 10 weeks, before starting a summer math course.

Hi all, I'm Shirley and I'm a sophomore student from Chengdu, China. So excited to join this class.

Objective: To strongthen my C++ programming skills. I will apply for MFE programs in the future.
Programming experience: some C++, some Python and a little Java
Current work: student
Intended pace of program: about 14 weeks.

Hello Avi, Everyone

My name is Saran Reddy. I am from Mumbai, India. I will be starting MS in Quantitative and Computational Finance in August 2020. I have an experience of over 3 years in Finance, but not in Quant. I am taking this course together with the Options Primer course so that I can refresh and strengthen my knowledge.

Objective: Strengthen C++ programming skills

Programming Experience: C, C++, Python and R

Current Work: Working at a hedge fund

Intended pace of program: Within a month

Looking forward to learn more.

Hello,

Obj: Learn C++ for MFE program, learn comp methods for fin modeling.

Programming experience: None
Current Work: I am an anesthetist.
Pace: We will find out together.

Hello everyone,

Objective: I want to relearn the basics and to advance my knowledge of C++ before starting my MFE this August.

Programming experience: C++ (1 course), Java (2 courses), R (statistics courses)

Current work: I just completed a math/stats undergrad. I have experience in investment management.

Intended pace: I aim to complete the course by mid-August at the latest.

Hello, everyone! My name is Lyle, and I am excited to be starting this course!

Objective: To strengthen my programming skills by learning C++. There is also a chance that I'll apply for a financial engineering program in the future. I guess this course is also something nice to do during quarantine.

Programming experience: Matlab, Stata, Python, Fortran, R, C#, HTML. But I only know a little bit of each.

Current work: Recently graduated from MS in Finance in Baruch. Unemployed :(

Intended pace of program: Anything between two weeks and four months. Your guess is as good as mine

Hello, everyone! My name is Lyle, and I am excited to be starting this course!

Objective: To strengthen my programming skills by learning C++. There is also a chance that I'll apply for a financial engineering program in the future. I guess this course is also something nice to do during quarantine.

Programming experience: Matlab, Stata, Python, Fortran, R, C#, HTML. But I only know a little bit of each.

Current work: Recently graduated from MS in Finance in Baruch. Unemployed :(

Intended pace of program: Anything between two weeks and four months. Your guess is as good as mine
C# is in some ways similar to C++. But C++ demands you manage memory yourself.

Hi everyone, my name is Niuniu, and I am excited to learn a new programming language.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to Operations Research programs and for my own personal enrichment

Programming Experience: None. (Majored in Math during undergraduate, and I did my thesis on Category Theory. I hope my background helps.)

Current Work: NYU graduate student

Intended Pace: Wish to finish this course and the advanced level by the end of October?

Back